Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I'm being recruited, Now What?



Athletics are very important me and are still a part of my life. I coach, train athletes and help motivate them to succeed.  Any time I run across someone who is like minded I want to support them as much as I can.  Athletics and academics opened many doors for me. But some student athletes only have half of the equation worked out.  Then when they don’t make it to the next level they wondered what happened.  But this interview is about a person and a company that is looking to change this formula. 

Let’s meet Shawn R. Hawkins; he is the owner of World Academic Sports Team (WAST), Inc.   WAST is a 501c3 non-profit organization to helps student-athletes receive Scholarships to play sports in college. They focus on the student first and the athlete second.



Shawn, how much research did you do before you made your move?
 I did not do much research.
 
What did your friends say when you told them about your dream?
My friends were very happy for me.

Did you have any people who did not believe in you
Yes. We all have so called “Haters” out there when you are trying to do something good.

Describe a life-defining moment of change?
I was working in the Pentagon during 9/11. The day prior to 9/11, I had just moved into my apartment after a divorce.  I called my boss on 9/11 and told him that I was not coming in to work that day. Turned on the TV and saw a plane crashing into the building not too far from where I was working. God spared my life, so I could help student-athletes get college scholarships.

Did you have moments of doubts about what you wanted to do, and how did you overcome it.
No. My purpose from God is to help Student-Athletes get into college.

What did you do to stay motivated through the process?
I look for student –athletes that need my service, and I help them.

Did you ever get down on yourself because you felt like you were not making progress
No. I have never got down on myself.

What advice would you give the person who is reading this blog and has been hesitant about granting themselves the permission to succeed?
You must stay true to your Purpose from God.

Five years from now what’s your dream? Five years ago where did you want to be and are you closer or have you achieved your dream?
I have been responsible for getting about 75 student-athletes college scholarships from my for-profit organization called “Write to succeed.” I plan to triple that number my non-profit organization. I feel that I am on track to do so.

 What advice or motivation would you like to leave the readers about giving yourself permission to succeed?
You all have the Write (Right) to Succeed in the game of life.

Please check out the business website, email, website or social media connections so help promote this business.  If you know of a parent with an athlete and they need some direction during this process of recruiting and getting money for college please send this blog to them and have them check out this company. 


My book: Why are we losing our black-male student-athletes? By Shawn R. Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment