Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What makes you Angry?



When I met Victory, I thought I was hearing things. He said “My name is Angry” I said “What?”  Why are you angry? After a few minutes I began to see that he was more than just Angry, he was Command Sergeant Major of the Army National Guard, but also a speaker and author. Let’s meet Victor and understand what makes him Angry.



Victor Sean Angry, is a retired military of over 23 years.  He is the first African American to hold the position as the Command Sergeant Major of the Army National Guard. He is an advocate of fitness and supporter of anyone trying to be better. Victor started his company "A is for ANGRY!" LLC because he wanted to put the same passion he put into working for someone else, into working for myself doing what he passionately loves to do, and that is motivating and inspiring others. 

How much research did you do before you made your move?

I've been doing research my entire life! In the book that I'm currently writing, I talk about being the king of procrastination, how procrastination is nothing more than delaying the inevitable until you can't delay it any longer. I've always known what I wanted to do in life, I was just too afraid to go after it. I would do other things, commit to other people; do all those things we do when we are avoiding the inevitable. Because I knew what I wanted to do, I knew my market, I know my demand, it was simple to go after it, once I got past Mr. Procrastination.

What did your friends say when you told them about your dream?

  This may seem odd, but I don't have friends, I have people I associate with, and they have given me supportive comments about me following through with my dreams. The two people I call friends now have both just been recently placed in my life. They are my support team for my new adventure.

Did you have any people who did not believe in you?

Yes, and I still do. As my fraternity brother put it "they aren't worth the time for the discussion, people like that are a setback of valuable time you could be spending moving yourself forward. And we're moving again...

Describe a life-defining moment of change.

I'm on the golf course with a buddy and fellow Sergeant major of mine, we are walking the course and catching up on old times. He tells me "your name is synonymous with success", that's a life-defining moment of change, what else can I do with that but act on it!

Did you have moments of doubts about what you wanted to do, and how did you overcome it?

I haven't had moments of doubt with what I wanted to do, I've had moments of lack of confidence and the only way I got around them was to surround myself around others who bleed confidence. That's what you need when your stepping off a cliff into the unknown, others that have done it successfully.

What did you do to stay motivated through the process?

Kept reading, kept researching, kept reciting our deepest fear poem by Marianne Williamson, which was re-quoted by Mr. Mandela.

Did you ever get down on yourself because you felt like you were not making progress?

All the time! I get down on myself every day. In my profession, I want to be world renowned, I want my message to be heard across the globe, I want to find all of those average and under-minded people, and inspire them to do those great things they dream of. I get down on myself so much that I have to remind myself that all good things come in time, and all I have is time. I may not know how much time I have, but I truly believe God lays everything out there, we just have to patiently follow the plan.

What advice would you give the person who is reading this blog and has been hesitant about granting themselves the permission to succeed?

The procrastination club exists for a reason, you can't have a club without members. I would say that you need to use being a member of that club to your advantage; look, listen and learn. Understand that at some point you're going to have to stop delaying the inevitable, but only you will know when that moment is. I will tell you that it does exist, you may need to pull a few more motivators into your circle of influence and if that's what you need, then do it. It took me 42 years to realize that God has been giving me blessings this entire time, it's up to us to receive them, or let them pass on by to the next person.

Five years from now what’s your dream?

5 years from now, I want the cover of Forbes magazine as a successful professional speaker. It's a tall order, but that's why we call them dreams! Dream big, dream out loud, dream like crazy! 5 years ago I was serving this country as the most senior Non Commissioned Officer in charge of all enlisted issues, equipment and family concerns of the Army National Guard and I was exactly where I wanted to be. Holding that position was a military dream come true, but like all great dreams, you must wake up from them. I started dreaming my new dream, which has always been community service, so after my retirement in 2011, I became a volunteer firefighter in my community. I started working for Navy Federal Credit Union where I was blessed to land a corporate job that supports the military through smart banking. I was able to take my passion of educating enlisted members to understanding their finances and making smart investments, something that we still lack today in our ranks. Today, I am the owner of my own business where I get to continue my passion of educating, coaching, mentoring and inspiring others to succeed. I'd say I'm about 75 percent closer to achieving my dream.  

What advice or motivation would you like to leave the readers about giving yourself permission to succeed?

I'm going to quote Marianne Williamson for this one "As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others". 
Find your motivation, and when you do, let it ignite the nation!

Please check out Victory and follow him

http://www.facebook.com/VictorAngry
Twitter: Vic_Angry


No comments:

Post a Comment